December is widely recognised as the ‘festive season’, ‘a time to be merry and give thanks’, but more than anything it’s known as an excuse to get totally maggered. Repeatedly. Now, don’t get us wrong, we support responsible drinking but practising this theory during December is a different story. So, to help you avoid/endure the inevitable comatose-hangover state, we’ve got the lowdown on how to beat a hangover this ‘festive season’.
Beer and babes are the sweetest things mankind makes for blokes to enjoy but the difference between the two is that the former is more tolerable than the latter until, that is, you wake up feeling like hammered-death. The reason for this comatose-like state in the morning after a boozey night is because alcohol is a diuretic which means fluid and salts are flushed out of your body making your mouth feel like cotton wool hours later. To avoid purging your insides during/after an XMAS/NY bash, follow our tried-and-tested tips below:
• Don’t mix drinks: you might want to mix your bed buddies but this doesn’t apply to drinks. Stick to one kind of drink and your body will thank you for it later.
• The darker the drink; the greater the hangover: Brandy, sherry, red wine and whiskey will give you more of a hangover than white wine and vodka. Cheap spirits are also more likely to give you a body-crippling hangover.
• Vegemite is gold: Apart from putting a rose on your cheek (lame, we know), the rank-smelling spread works a treat after your booze bender and if combined with an egg, you’re near a 100% recovery because eggs break down the remaining booze toxins faster.
• Hair of the dog is a myth: Even though this is a good excuse to keep drinking, guzzling another batch of beer won’t help rid a hangover. Drinking more will hinder hangover symptoms but not eradicate them. Sorry about that, fellas.
• Avoid: coffee, greasy food and dairy until you feel like your insides will remain...er, inside.
• Power-ade your hangover: Blue Powerade works wonders the morning after but any sports drink is good value because they help to re-hydrate your body. Combine Powerade with aspirin, followed by a cool shower and it’s not long before you’re back on your feet remembering all the shameful debauchery you participated in the night before.
If you got a hangover cure, let us know below.