With Mel Gibson back on screens in The Beaver later this month, we take a look at the best celebrity brainsnaps...
- Mel has a long history of ranty outbursts. In 2006, Mel unleashed an anti-Semitic tirade after being pulled over for DUI (“Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world”); in 2010, his ex released a rant he left on her voicemail (“You look like a f------ pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n-----, it will be your fault!”); and this year, Winona Ryder revealed Mel called her an “oven-dodger” (Ryder is Jewish)2
- Kanye West melts down more often than Charlie Sheen. In 2005, he announced “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” during a Hurricane Katrina telethon; in 2006, he stormed the MTV Awards stage when his Touch The Sky clip didn’t win Best Video; in 2007, he blamed racism for Britney opening the MTV Awards instead of him (“Maybe my skin’s not right”); in 2009, he stormed the MTV stage again when Taylor Swift beat Beyoncé for Best Video3
- In March this year, Chris Brown of punching-Rihanna fame had an extreme meltdown on live TV after being asked about his domestic violence case on Good Morning America. Brown refused to answer and became evasive, and then allegedly threw a chair through a window backstage — raining glass on the streets below — before storming from the building shirtless 4
- Last year, Randy Quaid earned his brain-snap credentials by applying for asylum in Canada because he claimed he was being hunted by “Hollywood star-whackers” who, Quaid claimed, also killed Heath
Ledger and David Carradine5
- US conservative talkback radio host Rush Limbaugh copped flak for suggesting “Mother Earth was punishing” Japan for producing electric cars — only two days after the quake and tsunami hit. “In fact, where Gaia blew up is right where they make all these electric cars. That’s where the tsunami hit! All those brand new electric cars sitting there on the lot. What is Gaia trying to tell us here?”6
- Last year, Matt Newton was ejected from a Melbourne hotel for causing thousands of dollars of damage to his room, just a couple of months after he allegedly caused $9000 worth of damage to another Sydney hotel room7
- Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) came under fire for an outburst against a black heckler in 2006, which spiralled into a racist rant: “Shut up! Fifty years ago we’d have you upside down with a f------ fork up your a--!